Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Awesome Sagrada Familia

Well, after Zaragoza, let's move on to Barcelona. When I hear the word Spain, the first next word I would think of is Barcelona. I guess most of you will have the same answer too... except a few whose first next word would be "hot-girls". To be honest, I didn't really know about Madrid until I came here. I thought Madrid was just a football team's name.. Real Madrid. Don't blame me. At least I'm better than some Malaysians who didn't know Sarawak was in Malaysia.

And in Barcelona, for a foreigner, the most important spot to visit would be the Sagrada Familia. Even more important for foreigners who are architects or civil engineers. And of course I wouldn't miss that. But I haven't manage to get into the building yet. Just outside... I'll try to go in the next time. The queue was just too long and we didn't exactly have the time for that. It will take one whole day just to tour the Sagrada Familia.

The long queue outside the building.. I think there's a limit of how much time you can be in the building considering the really long queue.
I suppose it's worth standing under the sun waiting for our turn.
The Sagrada Familia is famous for its complication. Well, it's not a rumour. It is a fact that it's really complicated. It's such a gigantic building yet the fine details are all there. It's true that this structure is a 3D piece of art. Even my art is not that detailed. Gaudi is just amazing. He could design a building so artistic yet he was able to know that the structure will not collapse. I think I would shit in my pants every day if I work with him. And of course, the construction workers are extremely good too, to be able to make the plans into reality.

The Sagrada Familia, as known is divided into two main facades, The Nativity Facade and the Passion Facade. For this post, I'll just talk about the Nativity Facade. Can you imagine, I've taken so many pictures yet all the pictures are of different details. And the structure is still not complete yet. There's still another facade, the Glory facade which is under construction.

The Nativity Facade.. Still standing tall
How?? How did he do it? Without technology.. I guess technology is nothing. It's just the matter if we want to do it or not. Technology is just a lazy way

Can you see? Fine details even at the peak of the building.
So complicated... Even complicated when everything is made of concrete. There's a story behind all the designs
Zoom in. The statues are still not that difficult but the bushy mushy walls.. How did he even sketch it out in the first place

This building is also a good place for photographers to get inspiration. I wasn't interested in photography at all but when I visit this spot, suddenly I just got inspired. And so I started playing with my camera. If only I had a DSLR camera. It would be more fun. And of course it would be much nicer if edited. But I don't like make ups so it's always good to let it be..
Here are a few.. At the same time look at the story told by the structure.
I like this one best..

And opposite the Sagrada Familia, there is a beautiful garden to supplement the structure.
Synchronized duck swimming.. Do you think they are trained to do that too?
From the garden, you can capture the view of the whole building. Otherwise it's impossible because the building is just to big to fit into the camera.

I'll stop here. There's the other side of the building still. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment