Saturday, August 21, 2010

Goya the Artist

After the tour around The Pilar Basilica, we headed to an exhibition hall which exhibits the works of the world renowned Spanish painter, Francisco José de Goya y Luciente. A long name that is. 21 characters longer than my name..wow



Personally, I don't know him until I came to Zaragoza because I'm not a fan of arts but for those of you who takes art courses then probably you would have read about Goya. Well, he was way before the Picasso generation which is why I don't know him. But I don't really know Picasso as well. I have 0 knowledge about art history. However, in Zaragoza, I've learnt a thing or two about the great Goya. And I even know a few facts which is not available in Wikipedia. First, he's a really expensive portrait painter... money face I should say. According to the tour guide, he was reluctant to paint portraits of ordinary people unless he was being offered something he wants. He preferred engraving more than painting. Painting for him was to earn money and he surely had earned tons as he owned the second most luxurious carriage. The most luxurious carriage belonged to the king. That's how rich he was. And I was told that the Queen was a really ugly person and he was the one who managed to make the queen look beautiful in his painting..He was sort of the first person to invent the concept of Photoshop. HAHA...

Also, I have learnt that for portrait painting during that era, the painter would charge the most to paint a person's hand.

Again, cameras are not allowed in the exhibition hall but with Operation Paparazzi Jordan, it is made possible. It was too hard to take pictures of the portraits but I have managed to take lots of the prints of his engravings. They have the signs in other departments except this room so I suppose it's okay to take pictures. These are just prints of his engravings anyways. The templates are probably kept somewhere much safer from visitors like me. Drawing a picture out of imagination and complete with the shadings are difficult but to engrave the pictures, that's pure talent

So, Goya's engravings are divided into three main themes: People, War, Bullfights. Remember it's not drawing.. it's ENGRAVING
The Exhibtion Room for prints of Goya's Engravings only.. and it is a dark room as you can see.. no lights except the display lights
 Every picture has got its story but I only know some of the meanings behind it

CHARACTERISTICS OF PEOPLE
This one I'm not so sure what it is about
This one is about men. The bird like creatures are men. There's a picture before saying men are free like a bird. But in this picture, it says that women are evil. They attract men, use them and when they are no use, they shoo the men away...hmmm... What do you think??
This one is about vanity. The women looking into the mirror is really old and ugly but the people around her keeps on telling her that she's beautiful, so she believes and kept on thinking of herself as beautiful. This one I agree..
This one I'm not too sure too. My brain is too simple for this. All I see is a woman and a man naked.
This one is about stupidity. Donkey represents stupidity.. and this one shows a stupid person teaching his son. So in the end the son will be as stupid as his father.
 
WAR
Goya, as I was told, was the first person who depicts war as a disaster full with gory and grief instead of victory and celebration of winning as assumed by people in the past.

Regular people being killed
Torture
An even more serious torture...oooouch.. this is real torture
People being treated badly.. as prisoners and slaves during war period
A helpless mother trying to save her daughter from the soldier..
Women braving up to fight in order to protect their family


BULL FIGHT
And of course, it's the tradition of Spain which Goya didn't miss out
This one is cool. It's not just about the bullfight, but look at the distribution of audience. They're all at one side, afraid of too much sun
This one probably is about the dangers during bullfight. Injuries and accidents can occur

Well, after the exhibition, I have learnt a thing or two. Now I know who Goya is and I know how to put more expressions when saying ooooo... or Wowww... after looking at all the paintings. I even know how to fake them.. =D


And here you have two statues created to depict and to appreciate Goya's artwork. Thank you Goya for all the pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment