Friday, August 20, 2010

Zaragoza: The Pilar Basilica

Of course, one of the main attraction in Zaragoza is the Pilar Basilica. It was the first site we visited in Zaragoza on the second day, or should I say the first day because we reached there the night before. Anyways, I should say no tourist could miss this. Otherwise, there'll be no prove that you've visited Zaragoza. It's a Cathedral and I was told it's the second biggest one in Spain. This building sure has a lot of history, so rich with history that when I got into the cathedral, I felt like I was in another place. Well, literally I am in another place... inside the building instead of outside... but what I mean is it was like a time machine. Again of course, when I was inside, I felt the Da Vinci Code mood.

Exteriorly, the building looks really grand and complicated. Sometimes I just admire how complicated the minds of our ancestors can be. Usually, all the ancient buildings have really complicated designs. And I admire the construction workers even more. They're the ones who make the ideas come to reality. I don't even dare to look at the buildings closely just in case my brain crashes due to complication. So many fine details. Also, my first thought when I see the building was how come it looks like a mosque. Turns out it does have Muslim influence. Zaragoza was once a Muslim city after the Romans, Augustus Caesar.
During the day... I just realise I don't have a zoom up picture of the building during daytime

View at night from a bridge...love this one


Really complicated carving near the main entrance..
 Ok, I'll now bring you into the Cathedral. But first of all, I've to remind you how much effort I've taken to take the pictures inside.

They have big sign boards saying that no cameras are allowed but when I was inside, I still see people taking videos and pictures, so I was like who cares and out comes my camera but secretly. I've got a much better reason to do so considering I'm from the other side of the planet. Hence, don't be disappointed with the quality of the pictures.

So, here you have.. the interior of the Cathedral. First there's the Holy Chapel. I guess this was the main part of the cathedral because most visitors go there. And it's also the place where the Column placed by Virgin Mary is situated. The column has very long history. The location of the Cathedral is in fact determined by the Column of Virgin Mary.

Then, there's the High Altar. There's stories too but I don't remember. All I know is that the altar is unique, beautiful and again complicated

And the Main Choir....
























 The designs of the building are not only limited to the walls and the floors but also the ceiling. Each dome ceiling has arts painted by different artists. One of them was Goya. A very well known artist and I'll have a post just for him. This would be the closest to the ones available in the Vatican City.


Painting itself is hard already but painting on a rounded ceiling where you have to look vertically up all the time while painting is really hard.

One more interesting thing in Cathedral Basilica was the story of the bombs. During the war time, two bombs were dropped onto this building but none of the bombs exploded. Amazing right?? There are stories saying that either the soldier was from Zaragoza and he diffused the bomb before dropping them or because Virgin Mary protected the place.
The two bombs that I was saying. Those are real bombs... only that they are being diffused.

























And even the holes where the bombs penetrate are still visible. If you see the picture below, there is a hole patched at the bottom right of the painting.
The bottom right of the painting. Look carefully and closely.. It's quite obvious

























 This was only the first activity of the day. That day was a really packed day... so stay tuned =D.
If you wanna know more about the Pilar Basilica, please visit this WEB or that WEB.

No comments:

Post a Comment