Saturday, July 17, 2010

First Restaurant Visited in Catalunya

One of the best privileges I get from the company I'm working for is free lunches. And it's not those kind lunches that you get from lousy cafeterias. I get to eat wherever I want and then claim from the company. So, my supervisor has been taking me to different restaurants everyday to try different food. This I should say would be the best opportunity.

I get to do what I like which is to eat and try all the local food and I don't have to pay a single cent. =D. It's like those guys who do food documentaries where they get to try all the different food for free.

So, this is my very first restaurant that I went to during the first day of work. It's an antique restaurant. Well, at least the building as it used to be a train station.

The restaurant building. It's taken from the x - railway line

The interior of the restaurant


In Catalunya (I shouldn't say Spain because the Catalans want to be recognised as the Catalans),
Most meals in Spain (or Catalunya) have three courses: starter, main and dessert. I guess it's the traditional European culture for meals. And of course, there are two main types of drinks. Water or wine.

This is my very first eat-out meal in Spain. It wasn't that extravagant but because it was my very first, it has a different memory.

Starter: Pasta Carbonara (I ordered this because it was the most recognisable name in the menu)

Main: Baked Fish with baked beans

Dessert: Rice with milk and cinnamon

The starter and the main was rather normal but the dessert, for me is new. I've been eating rice prepared in different ways but this is my first time I have it with milk. It's good though. Sweet.. and the cinnamon really goes well with it.



And this one, it's from another restaurant the next day. This is the really really local Spanish food. It's called Palla (paya). It's actually baked rice with seafood. The sauce has really complicated flavour as it has all kinds of seafood stock in it. But I love it.

Well, these are just two of the restaurants that I've visited. There are like ten other restaurants which I'll post slowly when I have the time. Working from 8 to 8 five days a week and then going out during the weekends doesn't really give me the time to blog.

More to come!!

2 comments: